In the first two days of August of 1813, British and Native American force
under the command of General Proctor attacked Fort Stephenson.
The Americans, under the command of Major George Croghan, withstood the attack
and inflicted enough casualties on the attacking forces to cause their withdrawal.
Battle of Fort Stephenson
Today the Birchard Library in Fremont, Ohio is located on the site of Fort Stephenson
Plaques, monuments, and "Old Betsy" a cannon used in the defense of Fort Stephenson, are on the grounds.
Every August, the Croghan Day Committee,
organized by the Colonel George Croghan Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
holds a program on the grounds of the library.
More Information about Croghan Day